Wednesday, April 27, 2011

i literally cannot think of a title.

This week we've been working on iPad apps and website wireframes for Plaid Dad. I've also been working on my mini-portfolio and am supposed to be working on my portfolio website. However, I have had zero time to even think about a personal website because we present our prototype and all of it's parts in Iowa next Friday. I'm very excited and will be happy to see the project and presentation complete. That's all I have to say about that.


Critique: Plaid Dad website
The next part of our prototype is creating the website and iPad app for our magazine. Here are two wireframes for the homepage and the recipes page of the site. We're still ironing out some of the details such as ads and the logo, but all-in-all it's looking pretty good. We definitely stuck with the color palette for our magazine (maybe to a fault). It's definitely different working to create web content rather than print content. It's an interesting challenge, and I definitely have a lot to learn in terms of web design. 


Response: Mag+ and working with the iPad
In order to create our iPad apps, we are working with a program called Mag+. Basically we are creating the app layouts in InDesign and then transferring it to the iPad. It's not very complicated but there are definitely a few glitches in the design and program functions. Our plan isn't to just transfer our print spreads to the iPad. Instead, we're trying to create some different content and then use some of the same, but there has to be a lot of redesign because the space is very constricting. 
I do like Mag+ for the most part. It makes app creation extremely easy and fun, but at times it seems like the easy way out. There are some issues with changing orientation. Instead of creating two different layouts, they stay the same and have to be adaptable to that. It definitely adds some difficulty to making the apps look good.
It's an interesting challenge, and I'm excited to see what we come up with. 


Check it out: Some minimalist web designs
Well I'm attempting to create my portfolio website and struggling. I'm not as skilled in Dreamweaver as i'd like to be yet, but I'm working on it! This week on YOUTHEDESIGNER I found some cool minimalist web pages, and it has encouraged me. So far I've seen some really amazing portfolio sites--most of which I can never imagine being able to create. But these were simple but also very accessible and aesthetically pleasing. 





Above are two of my favorite. They seem much more within my abilities to create. To see the rest of the featured pages, check them out here.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Mag+. I also think it almost forces the design into a templated sort of design. But I think it'll be a lot of fun to watch the evolution of iPad design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The web wireframe looks great. I would suggest trying to come up with more online only content. Most large publications have basically all online content separate from the print edition. There aren't a lot of major publications that shovel all the print stuff online. Talk to your webbies about making unique web stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how the wireframes turned out. The color palette and the Plaid Dad headline looks nice. It's organized well and seems like it would be easy to navigate.
    Your new blog design looks good too!

    ReplyDelete