Wednesday, April 13, 2011

the light at the end of the tunnel.

Slowly but surely, the semester is coming to a close. This isn't necessarily something I'm pleased about, but it does mean that our prototype will finally be published. I am beyond excited to see it go to print. Our team has put in countless hours in the design lab, and we will finally be rewarded for it. I don't want to speak too soon, but I'm excited for the finished product. Tomorrow we have a review with our publishers and some of the professors. Hope it goes well. 


Critique: 30 under 30
Last week we had a cover and feature competition for Vox's '30 under 30' story. It features Columbians of all ages who are basically achieving really cool things. I was at a loss on how to address such a HUGE feature, but here's what I came up with. 




It's definitely not my favorite work of the semester, but I wanted to try something different. I'm trying to mix it up a little in terms of typography, color, etc. I have a few very favorite fonts that I'm always inclined to use because I feel that they can work for lots of different topics. HOWEVER, this graffiti font was not one of the. I wanted  to give the feature a younger feel. It could definitely turn out repetitive if it were designed with 30 vignettes that all looked the same. 
The cover was difficult. There were photos of every person featured, but I definitely couldn't figure out a way to include all 30 without the cover looking like a complete mess. Since the photos were all taken on a white backdrop and all of the subjects were dressed appropriately for their topic, I thought it would be funny to do sort of a mix and match of the subjects. It can definitely use some refining, but that's my initial attempt. 

Response: Mini-portfolios
This week we started discussing creating our mini-portfolios. The discussion freaked me out mainly because that means my college career is in fact coming to an abrupt end. AHHH, real world. I'm excited and nervous, but it has flown by. I am really amped to create my mini-portfolio. We looked at tons in class, and when done well, they can be really beautiful and successfully executed. Now all I have to do is find the time to make mine into a masterpiece. 

Check it out: Really awesome web design portfolios
In starting to think about my mini-portfolio and also my portfolio website, I was researching for some inspiration. One site I found that featured 40 really impressive web portfolios is wellmedicated. I was SO impressed by the 40 they featured, and I only hope that mine can be 1/4 as good when it is completed. Obviously I have a long way to go, but it's always good to be ambitious. Check them out here.

As always, I checked out YOUTHEDESIGNER and found more awesome creative posts. A favorite was of 70+ business cards. I guess I have to think about creating one of those eventually, too. Being a grownup is definitely going to be different. Here is one of my favorites. I think it's so creative, maybe because it's designer humor. 

(Orginially from creattica. )


Click here to see the rest of the very clever and well-designed business cards. That's all for now. Enjoy the week!

4 comments:

  1. I love the color and type choice you used for the feature. I think the graffiti look fits well. It, along with the color, gives the package a unique edge. The design elements you put behind each name is a really nice touch as well. Your cover mix-and-match concept is great. I had a hard time thinking outside of the box. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the business cards examples! They all were great and definitely get the idea flowing. I especially liked Chalk & Talk. It's scary that graduation is coming up so soon, but after we get over that hurdle, we'll have plenty more time in our days to design stuff like business cards and get ourselves out there. Eekk, being an adult is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about trying to do something different. I think that in an of itself s a challenge. I like the colored shapes you put behind each person's name. I think the bar on the cover that rest below people's faces is weird but interesting. It makes me think of those games where the bodies are switched out and differently from the heads and feet and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really fun to look at different blogs and sites for inspiration. I feel like it allows you to really see what works and what doesn't, and decide the best choice for your own Web site/portfolio.

    ReplyDelete