Tuesday, February 1, 2011

here it goes.

Critique: Spring Preview



  • For my Spring Preview, I chose to go with a sort of Scrabble theme. The spreads originally started with the brown scrabble squares. However, it then transformed into a black and white cover with colored typography. I thought colors were more appropriate to represent springtime and give the whole package a more seasonally appropriate mood. 







  • I decided (with help and suggestions from Erica) to coordinate my Spring Preview dates in chronological order rather than by category. I used colored boxes to signify each event category and put them next to the even title. The only real difficulty I had was finding a way to make an otherwise boring list of dates look interesting and accessible. 

Response: Baby Beauty (published) Cover and Spread

  • After hearing the class critique and discussion of the final Baby Beauty decisions, I realized what the editors were looking for. I definitely understood wanting to use Ronnie on the cover because he was such a huge and important part of the core story. It was interesting to hear from Jan and Erica about why the photo that was used on the cover was chosen. I never even thought about using that photo, but after hearing the rationale, it opened my mind to more possibilities for the spread. 
  • For the inside spread, the critique helped me understand the necessity of using fewer LARGE photos rather than lots of small ones. Although I thought there were lots of great photos and wanted to use as many as possible, I realize it is more important to tell the story clearly rather than using all of the cute photos. 
Check it Out: Beautiful Maps and Projects
  • I don't know why, but this week I chose to look at a bunch of different maps. I think maps are beautiful and intricate and so interesting. So after a little research, I found this really awesome blog that has some very different and cool maps and projects made of maps. The blog, Things of Beauty, has some really cool projects like this one. 



maps-new uses

  • The map on the left is from The Icicle and the Sun book and the map on the right is a Taiwanese map from a shui wooden map card. Maps are a necessity that could be boring, but this blog has so many that are helpful and beautiful at the same time. 

5 comments:

  1. The Taiwanese map is gorgeous. I've always wanted to take a GIS course, and this just makes me want it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the scribble!! a lot @.@ and the how you handle the :spring preview.. I know this might not be the right word, but.. it looks like it's seducing you to see the content..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie—

    I think your concept for the Spring Preview was well thought out and professionally executed. I like the way in which you organized your information by color—it's a different option that the typical clumping of all similar events. While I love the cover treatment, it probably would have worked better/been more impactful if some more recognizable people were coming to Columbia (and thus could have been featured on the cover). I might be out of the loop in certain aspects of culture, but the only person I readily recognized was George Strait. Since you were limited to people who were actually coming here, maybe using pictures of other subjects (like places or events) could have worked, too. Just something a little more recognizable. But definitely kudos for a great concept and execution!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job of sticking you your theme and executing it well throughout your designs. I kind of wish we would have been given a theme to go with, rather than having three very different themes for the cover splash page and feature. Yours would have worked very nicely as a complete package.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your text for the headline on the splash page bleeds off of the page. I also really like the idea of using the letter tiles throughout your designs. I think the only critique I would have is that the photos cropped the front of the page don't really match the Scrabble-esque quality of your design. They look really nice though, and I like the contrast between the black and white art and the colored tiles.

    ReplyDelete