Wednesday, March 23, 2011

things are getting crazy.

Thank GOODNESS spring break is on the horizon (Friday to be exact), because I am feeling the pressssure of being in my last semester. I am SO jealous that I won't be heading to Jamaica or Mexico or Vegas with my friends/roommates/etc. However, because of recent lack of sleep, I am indeed excited to head back to Kirkwood to get some much needed R&R. I'm hoping that it will involve some job hunting and catching up on other classes, but from past experience, I won't count on being super productive while I'm home. 


Critique: Lethal Injections Feature
This week I finished my feature. It made many transformations throughout the designing process. It went from black and white to color photos. I had to make some changes in terms of whitespace in order to fit content, but I really am happy with the final product. 



I wanted to leave as much whitespace as possible and run the photos huge. The photos are all very similar since they were taken in the same visiting room, so I used typography and whitespace to make the very text-heavy spread more interesting. There was some debate on whether to keep the photos in color or change them to black and white. I initially felt very strongly that they should be black and white. It gave the spreads a certain mood. However, now that they are finished, I understand Hayley's thinking that the color shows how stark the prison surroundings are. 
There are still a few changes being made (i.e. the headline may be changing, the online blurb needs to be completed), but overall, this is how it turned out....and I'm happy. 

Response: Prototype draft presentations

Today all of our mag groups made introductory presentations of our prototype progress before Thursday's critique. While most of us seem to be at different points in our progress, I think that everyones' prototypes have a lot of potential. 

Nosh: I was very impressed with Theresa and the rest of the group's progress. They have a very cohesive style and a lot of attention to detail. They have done a lot of good things in terms of typography and organization of their content. There were a few design elements that seem to be overused but that can easily be fixed. 

Modern Midwest: I think that this prototype has a lot of potential. It is the most unconventional of all four prototypes. There are definitely more off-the-wall stories, and it has a very young, fresh feel. It isn't as developed as Nosh, but then again, none of the them are yet. I think there wasn't enough cohesion of the design between the departments as well as the features, but I'm sure that will come with time. 

Cupboard: I loved the cover of this prototype. I think the typography and photos were well thought out, and I think there needs to be more of that throughout the rest of the designs. 

Shindig: I think this team has done a really great job in figuring out typography so far. Like Nosh, it felt like a cohesive package. Some of the spreads still need developing, and something that ties them together, but I think there is so much potential. 

Check It Out: Typographic poetry and typographic designs

This week a friend from home posted this really awesome video from VIMEO. The sound is of poet Taylor Mali reciting one of his beautiful, thought-provoking and witty poems. The typographic work is done by Ronnie Bruce. While Mali says that Bruce did not ask for permission to do this, he basically says he can't even be mad because the result is so good. Enjoy.



The other gem I found this week is from YOUTHEDESIGNER. The post is '40 Typography Designs that will Tickle Your Imagination' and let me tell you, they did. This one is my favorite. 


This one entitled 'Fast Asleep' comes from a Spanish blog that also features some beautiful photographs. There are others that are solely created in illustrator, but overall, they're all pretty wonderful. 


Hoping to find more inspiration on this long-awaited break. Until next time, be happy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you on feeling the pressure of the last semester. It's been a stressful couple of weeks! It will be nice to have a break for sure. Your lethal injections feature turned out great. The design matches well with the tone of the story. I really like your pull-quote treatment. I bet it was nice to finally see it in print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your lethal injection feature turned out really good. I like how the white space makes the design feel cold as I'm sure it feels in the walls of this prison.

    ReplyDelete