Wednesday, March 9, 2011

challenges.

The past week or so has been a litttttle hectic. Okay, a lot hectic. Tests, a feature, department pages, logos, blogs, prototype work. Just a lot to do. I apologize if this post is a little scatterbrained. Enjoy. 


Critique: SJI Logos


We have been commissioned by the Sports Journalism Institute to make them a new logo like I mentioned earlier. Yesterday, we all had 20 logos due to be critiqued. From there, with the help of Jan, Erica and the rest of the class, we narrowed it down to our top five. Next Tuesday, we have to turn in our new and improved top five. Below are my top five (in no particular order). 


The biggest challenge I faced was trying to encompass the entire mission of SJI: bringing diversity to the newsroom. The program strives to bring women and minorities into sports journalism. Encompassing all aspects of the motto into a logo that still looks professional is definitely not as easy as it seems. With the second round of logos, I'm definitely going to have to work on bringing the minority/women aspect into the logo in a way that isn't cliche or tacky. It's definitely going to be a challenge. New logos to come next week. 

Response:MU iPad Conference

Monday was the MU iPad Conference and let me tell you, it was very impressive (and pretty exciting). There were editors, art directors, writers, etc from magazines from ESPN The Magazine, Better Homes and Gardens, Popular Science and Wired. They talked about the industry, the future of their magazines in terms of technology and the rapid changes going on everywhere. 

We're going to be creating an iPad app for our prototype, and while I'm nervous because I literally know nothing about Mag+ at this point, it will be really great experience. As a lot of us get ready to graduate, it's a little scary how much the industry is changing. I consider myself a print designer mainly because it is what I enjoy doing the most. However, as the industry continues to change, I guess becoming knowledgeable about all things technology is the best idea. 

For me, listening to ESPN's Rob King was the most inspirational. He was not only funny but very encouraging. One of my favorite things that he said was:

"It's gonna work out; you just don't know how yet."

It was great to hear that kind of encouragement from someone who has been so successful in the magazine industry. I am personally terrified to enter the job market, but the conference definitely showed me that many people in the industry understand our worries. 


Check it Out: YOUTHEDESIGNER &


This week on YOUTHEDESIGNER, I found some really cool vector patterns that can be created in Illustrator. I was thinking about doing ANOTHER redesign to my blog and maybe creating one for my background. Hope you like. 


Also, I found this really cool video on YouTube. I'm not going to give it away. But seriously, watch it. It is beautiful and unbelievable and makes me happy. 


Happy Wednesday!


3 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things about the iPad conference was that they didn't know what they were doing, and neither do we. I felt a lot better after that than I did before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your logos that you chose to improve on. One of my favorites is the world one that ties in diversity, which is a big part of the design that I didn't incorporate. I also like the black and white one that has each letter in a box. Good job! The tall painting video is so neat; i love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tall painting. It sort of reminds me of Jackson Pollock's paintings in that they look like random paint jobs, but really there's a method to their madness. Patti Shanks (Art Appreciation professor) always used to say "Nobody could paint like Jackson Pollock" and I'm sure the same goes for these painters.

    ReplyDelete